Level 2 Gottman Couples Therapy Training
There was more to couples therapy than what I learned in grad school…
You Can Get Your Couples To Do The Work, Move Past Hidden Agendas, And Respond Effectively When It Feels Like The Burden For Success Is On YOU.
How to respond to the high pressure couples who come in and want you to have an exact game plan of how to fix their marriage
Figure out what to do NEXT with the mixed agenda couple‚ where one person wants to end it while the other one wants to keep trying
- Discover the key to knowing which intervention to use when
- Acquire the skills to position yourself in my community as an expert, and to command higher fees
- How to navigate a very argumentative couple and get them to focus on changing
- Discover what to say when their potential core vulnerabilities are painfully, perhaps catastrophically exposed, and you want to boost their confidence that they can emerge successful from your treatment
- Get the framework needed to deal with couples that come in so far down the road where therapy is the last thing they try
- How to respond when the couple is very entrenched and wanting to feel that breaking up is appropriate
How to respond when the couple feels like it’s a waste of time and money to do the assessment, and they’re pushing you to hurry up
Practice (in your own small group!) how to share the assessment results in a way that helps them see why they are making the right decision in their marriage
Figure out what to do with tough couples when one is emotionally abusive and the other is simply exhausted, just wanting the abuse to stop
- Watch a start to finish example of the first three assessment sessions
- How to not feel like a referee getting pulled into their blaming dynamic
- Discover how to politely interrupt the storytelling or cutting each other off
- Overcome the natural tendency to side with one person or the other
How to respond when one member of the partnership wants to continue the emotional or physical affair they’re having
Practice (in small groups) over 10 of the most important interventions in the Gottman Method, including the Dreams Within Conflict intervention, Compromise Circles, Aftermath of a Fight, Flooding, and Friendship Interventions.
Figure out what to do with entrenched Negative Sentiment Override, when nothing the partner says seems to initiate the repair needed
- Watch an example of a Borderline Personality Disorder couple and how the Gottman Method works well in these cases
- How to address conflict when one partner is really invested in making change and the other partner is so deep in their hurt/anger/fear that they can’t focus on the couple itself but remain lost in their own pain
- Discover how to work with infidelity/ betrayal and ways to help the couple work past the pain and rebuild trust… especially with repeated affair behaviors that cause the partner problems believing it won’t happen again.
- Motivate your couples to apply the skills they learn — such as healthier ways of arguing/stating complaints, taking timeouts, etc–outside of the therapy room.
Theory, Video Demo, Skills Practice
- [THEORY] This workshop provides a wealth of information about relationship theory, observation, couple dynamics, relationship assessment, treatment planning, when and how to use interventions, and working with co-morbidities. All materials may be used in clinical settings.
- [VIDEO DEMONSTRATION] You will view original videos of couples from the famous Gottman “Love Lab,” as well as video of Drs. John and Julie Gottman demonstrating assessment and interventions in real case examples from their private practice.
- [LIVE SMALL GROUP SKILLS PRACTICE] Live workshop participants will practice using the interventions in skills practice sessions to help gain confidence using them with couples.
- [NAVIGATE COMORBID PATHOLOGY] This training dives deep into the Gottman Method approach for treating complicated cases involving co-morbidities, including affairs, borderline personality disorder, sexual abuse, PTSD, addiction, and domestic violence.
Level 2 Training Objectives
Review how to assess a couple’s Friendship Profile, Conflict Profile, and Shared Meaning Profile,
Build a toolkit of interventions that couples can use as antidotes to the Four Horsemen and soothe physiological flooding,
Apply six modes of changing the Attack/Defend System in a couple’s interactions,
Learn how to assist couples in establishing dialogue about their gridlocked conflicts.
Learn how to select and implement interventions to help couples deepen their Friendship System with rituals of connection,
Select and implement interventions to help couples create a shared system of values and meaning, and…
Identify and implement five different co-morbidities common to couples using Gottman assessments and interventions.
How Other Therapists Have Implemented Their Level 2 Training…
Level 2 is the ‘meat and potatoes’ of the Gottman Training series. It is the most important training in the three-level series. Level 2 happens over the course of three days – held on July 12-14, 2019 at the Hobart Building in downtown San Francisco, CA.
It is really where you learn to APPLY the Gottman method under supervision. You will receive more advanced training to include:
- More details on the THEORY
- Video DEMONSTRATIONS of real couples and how the Gottman’s intervene
- Ways to navigate COMORBIDITY and most importantly …
- SKILLS PRACTICE of key interventions you can use right away with your couples
Many of would really like the opportunity to PRACTICE some of these interventions, get individualized attention while doing them and how to apply it to your couples.
With Level 2 and the two bonus offerings (Group Consultation in your small January cohort and 1-1 private coaching from Sam post-training) all of this is now a reality!
You must take Level 1 prior to attending Level 2.
Currently, we only have one Level 2 scheduled for 2019 with no future dates planned.
Level 2 tuition of $927.00 or two (2) easy payments of $463.50 today, and then at the training on July 12th.
For a special limited time, the following bonus will be included:
Group Post-Training Support: One month after the training we’ll hold an exclusive online follow-up training ONLY with your cohort. There, we’ll discuss your challenges – from applying the method to reviewing interventions to working on your specific cases. ($150 value)
The bonus items INCLUDED address a lot of the items therapists share with us they need – from more post-training support on how to apply the Gottman Method to individualized attention. This bonus is valued of $150.00! All for FREE!
The Level 2 workshop PLUS the bonus will give you the kind of COMPLETE training you’re looking for.
This training is for mental health providers, allied professionals and clergy, students and interns, family clinic staff, professors/teachers of couples therapy, researchers in the social sciences, and employee assistance professionals. Completion of Level 1 Training is required (now available on-demand online).
This workshop is sold out, and thus your seat is quite valuable. If you can’t make it for any reason, you receive a credit to a future Level 2 conducted by Sam Garanzini.
Your registration is refundable within certain dates.
If you’ve registered for the training and cannot attend, we will do the following:
- Cancel before 06.12.2019: Full Refund (less $50 Admin. Fee)
- Cancel on/after 06.14.2019: Credit to a future Level 2 training
Absolutely. The research behind these concepts was conducted on both straight and same-sex couples. We created a large Institute applying these concepts to gay/lesbian couples called the Gay Couples Institute, if that interests you for further training.
Yes! We are offering an EXCEPTIONAL EXCLUSIVE bonus for clinicians who sign up with us today.
The bonus is based on what you told us you needed/wanted to feel more confident with your couples.
We can cover SOME of what you want to discover in your professional endeavors in Level 2 but there isn’t enough time.
If YOU fill one of these seats, we will offer you the following post-level 2 training support for FREE!
Group Post-Training Support: One month after the completion of the Level 2 training, we’ll hold an exclusive online follow-up training ONLY with your cohort. There, we’ll discuss your challenges – from applying the method to reviewing interventions to working on your specific cases. ($150 value)
Definitely. John and Julie Gottman envisioned these trainings to be fully useful for everyone, whether or not they even subscribe to the method, itself. You’ll walk away with actual content you can use in your practice immediately.
I really get frustrated when I go to a great training, and then it sits on the shelf for a month or two. When I go to open the manual again, it might as well be written in a foreign language.
This Level 2 2019 San Francisco cohort will have a follow up meeting online via Zoom in order to discuss implementation and your real case experiences. There’s no other better way to learn.
There’s no cost for this additional meeting.